Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The List You Don't Want to Be On....




CNN Health and writer Madison Park have put out the list you most surely do not want to be on.  It is the Top 15 Killers of Americans.  Another words, the top 15 things you are most likely to die of.  I know, not what you are thinking about from a "Craft" blog!  But remember, when I'm not crafting, I'm usually reading something or checking the news on the computer---hence how I came about this article..  I am determined to make this year a better, healthier year for myself and Mac and articles like this really make you take a look at what changes we need to make to AVOID this list.

I'm going to list the Top 15, but for the full article just follow the link above.


1. Diseases of heart
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases (such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and asthma)
4. Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
5. Accidents (any injuries that are unintentional)
6. Alzheimer’s disease
7. Diabetes mellitus
8. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
9. Influenza and pneumonia
10. Intentional self-harm (suicide)
11. Septicemia
12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
13. Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease
14. Parkinson’s disease
15. Pneumonitis due to solids and liquids

So what changes do you want to make this year with your health?  I can think of several for me.  More exercise and consistency of my exercising is top on my list!  Baseball is about to start back up at the park, so there is no reason I can't walk while Mac is practicing.  I have also switched to cooking with lean Turkey.  Mac has not even noticed and the taste is so much better!  Visualize what you want when it comes to your health this year and go after it!  Reward yourself when you lose 5 or 10 pounds---but with a good book instead of food.....  Let's stay OFF this list!!!

Today's Tip:   This tip comes from Sunday's paper, the Parade and Dr. Oz.  He states, "Having the same breakfast and lunch every day can help undercut the urge to stray from your diet.  For breakfast, have protein (two eggs) or fiber (oatmeal---my personal favorite).  For lunch, try grilled salmon or chicken with a salad and some steamed veggies.  Check out Parade.com/oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment